What are the best places to eat and drink in England? London? Liverpool? Bristol? Bromley? Or maybe Oxford? The correct answer is Salisbury. What is Salisbury? And why does it deserve your attention?
City of Salisbury
Salisbury is a small cathedral city in Wiltshire, England. The population of the city is above 40.300 people. And the main point of interest is a famous Salisbury Cathedral.
So, why do we pay such a special attention to the city, which seems to be an ordinary one at first sight? The secret of Salisbury is the cuisine. Salisbury’s traditional food is known all over the country. Each restaurant, pub, and cafe in the city has its own atmosphere, view, garden, and original food.
We’ve prepared for you a list of 5 most interesting food places to visit in Salisbury.
So, let’s get started.
Top 5 Restaurants in Salisbury
- Our first spot is the Charter 1227 Restaurant on the Market Square, Salisbury. It is a restaurant with traditional English cuisine of very high standards. The menu is quite chic and diverse. Here you can order both a simple tomato soup and a crab ravioli with spinach. The only minus is the place. Charter 1227 is situated in the busiest place in the city.
- Anokaa Restaurant is completely opposite to the previous one. Here Asian and Indian cuisines are served. If you love spicy and extraordinary dishes, definitely stop by. It is a balanced combination and blending of traditional and contemporary food.
- Eastern Chillout. One more extravagant place in Salisbury. Eastern Chillout cuisine fully represents the name of the restaurant. It is a mix of Moroccan, Lebanese, Turkish, Tunisian, and Mediterranean food. The place is very authentic and the dishes are creatively served.
- The Rivers Edge at the Rose and Crown Hotel. The actual restaurant is situated inside of a hotel. The menu in the restaurant changes periodically depending on a concrete season. Mostly, it is a traditional English food (fish pie, smoked chicken, Salisbury Ale battered fish and chips, mashed potato, buttered spinach, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs on toast, etc.). The big advantage of this place is a cozy riverside terrace.
- The last but not the least is The Chapter House. It is a traditional English place on Johns Street, Salisbury. The restaurant serves British cuisine only. Here you can order something like steak, ribs, toffee pudding, chicken salad, halloumi cheese, etc. The place is very popular not only among tourists but also among local citizens, So, take into account that in the middle of the day it can be quite busy here. The decor is very traditional but smart at the same time. An additional bonus is a quiet backyard area with beautiful garden.
As you can see, Salisbury is not only about traditional English food. It is a very unusual spot on the culinary map of England.